Our Love Story, Part 1

Well I’ve decided to take the time to put our love story into words. WRITTEN! A friend, Glen, over at Random Pitches, told me to that I am allowed to do it in installments and since I have his permission, and not 2-3 hours to type it out in one shot, you get the first one now and the next, well… when it’s published! J

To start with, I am one of those weird guys that thinks it is right and proper to ask a girls father first before making any intentions known to her. After all, he is her protector and God ordained, legal guardian. I believe very much in being under your God given authority so if in this story you wonder why I do some of these things, this is the reason.

June, Second Week, 2000
For the last two years I had been building my house as the funds came in and as it neared completion, I began to get antsy about who was to live in it with me. Living in a small church with a youth group you could count on one hand, minus a few fingers, the number of gals close to my age, I didn’t have a lot of picking choices. I thought of going to the “shoe factory,” more commonly known as SMBI, where they take an old heel, mend his soul, and send them away in pairs! J But with my job, that was out of the question! I had tried asking two Godly young ladies fathers and they both after prayer turned me down.

This weekend was our church’s campout. After it was over Sunday afternoon, we sat around as a family and were discussing things of heart issues and areas that had been touched that weekend. It was a special time since my two siblings had returned from their places of service for a few weeks and it was nice to be a family again! I had often talked to my father about a wife and the two young ladies he had also felt good about were the ones that had turned me down! I, being very shy and withdrawn, decided to ask the family for advice in finding a life partner. We talked for a while and then my brother suggested a girl from up in Canada that I also knew but hadn’t had a lot of contact for the last five years. My sister suggested a girl by the name of Aimee Beery whom she had met the year before at Family Camp and had been in correspondence with since. In fact when she had gotten back from FOCIS, she had told me of a girl she had met there who would make a good wife for me. My older sister said, “ehh… Japheth would run right over her, she’s so soft spoken.”

I knew the girl in Canada, I had never met this girl in Michigan/Virginia. She taught school in MI. but lived in VA. I told my younger sister that though this Aimee might be a very Godly young lady, how was I to get to know her? Just show up on her doorstep and say that I hear she is a nice young lady an I’d like to get to know her? Hmmm!!??

I decided to let it rest for a while.

July 4, 2000
Havign the day off of work, I spent it painting the newly finished walls in my house. I also decided to spend the day in fasting and prayer concerning the girl in Canada. All that day, as I worked and prayed I felt DEAD. I don’t think that those bare sheetrock walls even echoed. I read my Bible during “meal times” and even that did not hold any “life” for me. Finally at the end of the day, I bowed my head in tears of frustration and said, “Lord, I do not know why you have me in the waiting room. But I do not feel right in moving forward until you give me the peace and direction. I am tired of being in the waiting room, the seats are uncomfortable, and the magazines are boring, I want out! Yet, I will wait here till you show me how to move forward.”

I was resigned to the fact that God knew I was there and would lead me when He was ready.

July 5, 2000
I got home from work mentally exhausted from dealing with grumpy women and their sewing machines all day. As I came in the door, my younger sister met me and with a huge grin on her face said, “Guess who’s coming to stay for two weeks?” My first thought was “Two Weeks!! That means it’s probably a family and I will have to move out of my room to allow them to stay in the house.” Argh!!
(outwardly) “Who”
“Aimee Beery”
“You mean THE Aimee Beery?”
“Yes, THE Aimee Beery!”
“When?”
“Tommorrow….”

Comments

Glen Zehr said…
Ah, yes, the saga begins.....
Everybody needs a little romance. You single people need to pay attention, you might learn something.
Anonymous said…
I love it! I just recently started dating and I love to hear how other people met, started dating, and gotten married. I'm eagerly waiting for part 2!=)
Japheth said…
Cretora,
Ha, yourself!! See, I am setting a "good example," let's see if you ro Charlie follow suite. :-)





(hint, hint!)

Popular posts from this blog

The Kissing Conundrum

Our Love Story - Finale