Love Story, Part 2

If you are just checking in, please read Part 1 first to get the context.

I turned and started walking back the path to my house and I prayed “Lord, What is this? Some kind of practical joke?!” I went to prayer meeting that night very much confused and nervous about what the next few days might bring.

July 6, 2000 I arrived home from work to find that “she” would not be arriving until after supper time. I was as nervous as a June bug on a hot skillet! My sisters went downstairs to sew while I prepared for our young men’s accountability meeting that night.

About 7:00 I heard the dogs putting up an awful ruckus and since the girls were downstairs sewing, I figured I would be the gentleman and “call them off.” I went outside about the same time as Aimee got out of the car. I know that this sounds like fiction but something flipped inside!! I quick went back in the house just as my sisters came barreling out the door, squealing and hugging as only girls do. I was so shook up that I stood inside for awhile watching thru the sheer curtains. Finally I worked up enough nerve to step back outside. My sisters graciously introduced us and then I had to hurry off to our guys meeting. At that meeting, the Lord was really there!! We four guys had an awesome time of sharing, confessing, and praying for each other. I told the guys that I was really struggling with what God wanted me to do with my future. (Though I didn’t breathe a word about the girl who just came!!) I asked them to pray with me that He would reveal His plan quickly, as I had some “decisions” to make.

I came back to my folk’s house all pumped up and thrilled with what had happened and couldn’t help but share the joy with my sisters, who also had their “company” with them.

July 7 I got up that morning and heard that Aimee had not slept well during the night. She was still getting over the effects of ovarian cancer that she had dealt with the fall before. It caused her to struggle with insomnia, getting only 3-5 hours of sleep a night in spite of being completely exhausted. My heart went out to her and I wished there was something I could do but knew there was not and so left it alone.

That evening went I got home from work, I walk in the house and quickly saw that the girls had been “scrap booking.” Aimee had been resting on the sofa and I made some sort of comment about having another “sofa cushion.” I quickly went on to say that if she was going to live with us for 2 long, terrible weeks, I would have to treat her like I treated my sisters, teasing and all!! She stated that it was fine with her, and then came over to me and handed me a picture.

“Here, I’d like to show you something.”

I looked at the photo and saw what looked like a dark room with a lot of surgical drapes and in the middle of them were two pairs of gloved hands holding a bloody organ.

“Is this of your surgery?”
(nod)
“Interesting.”
What was I supposed to say now?

When supper was over I asked if I could look thru her photo album which was sitting at the end of the table. She agreed and stayed at the table to explain the scenery and family pictures to me as I had questions. As I looked thru her photo album, I saw all the little writings that make scrapbooks fun to look thru, and I quickly saw that she was not angry with God for making her go thru this trying ordeal of cancer. It really hit me when I read,
It’s worth the pain,
It’s worth the joy.
In my heart I knew that this girl was one who had made her peace with God and was holding out open hands for whatever He saw fit to give her.

I went to bed that night and prayed for God to show me His will concerning this special girl that He had brought into our home. I also prayed that I would not show her my heart or the struggle that I was facing concerning her.

July 8-12
Over the next few days, I struggled hard with my heart! I did not in any way want to defraud her heart by leading her into thinking that I was interested unless I KNEW that she was the one for me! She continued to struggle to sleep and was often found lying on the sofa for most of the day and barely able to hold her head up. My parents wondered if the cancer might be coming back and arranged for her to get a CAT scan done on Wednesday. That was my day off and since I had promised to make a crib quilt for one of my best friends who had had their first child, I decided to get that started. I so distinctly remember being in the basement and hearing Aimee weeping out of exhaustion and frustration of not being able to sleep. I sat down there and wept along; praying God would comfort this precious girl who had been thru so much. About mid morning, she came down to see how I was coming along. I asked her, “How’s your heart?” To which she responded, “Fine.” (Dumb!! What was I asking her THAT for?!!!)

She went in about lunch time for her CAT scan and I was a praying, anxious boy!! When she got home I heard the garage door going up and quickly ran upstairs to hear how it went. When she came in the door and saw me “looking” at her, with as little concern as I could muster, SHE WHIPPED A PILLOW IN MY FACE!

They found out that there was a cist on her remaining ovary and it could be the start of the cancer coming back. She would have to take the films to Michigan were her cancer doctor was to verify and make sure that’s what it was.

Comments

Glen Zehr said…
Wow!!!
This is better than a novel....
I am enjoying your honesty. The struggle....
I look forward to the next installment.....
Joe said…
Arggh! These "continued" things drive me nuts!

I look forward to the next installment, too.
Anonymous said…
Could you please write your next installment like......right now would be great!!! Lol!!

Popular posts from this blog

The Kissing Conundrum

Our Love Story - Finale

He's HERE!!!