A Real Chicken

What a reddening moment!!  We had church this afternoon and my family was supposed to have an inspirational skit.  We wanted something that would involve our children (who are 4 & under) and that kinda limits your choices.  Never the less, we did one where I pretended to be explaining what we are going to be doing, and my wife and children all of a sudden start squawking and flapping their arms like chickens
Me- “What are you doing?”
My son – “We’re Chickens!”
“Do you have feathers?”
“No.”
“Do you eat chicken feed and scratch in the dirt?”
“No.”
“You’re not chickens!  Now come on, be real!”

I then turned back to the crowed and apologized for their behavior and went on with my “explanation.”   My wife and boys, did that again as dogs, and the as Christians, shouting “Halleluiah,” “Praise the Lord.” GLORY,” and passing the hat for the offering.  I turned again to ask what they are doing.

“We’re Christians!”
“That’s great!  Do you also love the Lord with all your heart?”
(Puzzled looks)
“Have you confessed your sins?”
“No.”
“Have you asked Jesus to come into your heart and be Lord of your life?”
“No.”
“Then you’re not Christians.  You need to be real!! You cannot be a real Christian by yourself, anymore than you can be a real chicken!  Only God can come into your heart and make you a real Chicken.”



(from the audience) “You mean a ‘Christian?’”

I lost it and the church was roaring!!  It was a complete gaff on my part, I blew the punch line!!!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Japheth,
Cute!! :) Wish I could have been there! I found your blog by accident right before you started your courtship story. I love that story!! :) God bless you for being a bright light in this crooked world.
I miss you all so much!! Take care!
~AudreyMarie
Anonymous said…
Naah... you MADE the punchline!

(And yes, I was going to say that before I saw what Paul said...)
Joe said…
Don't you just love/hate when that happens?
Glen Zehr said…
That skit will probably stick better with people because of what happened. That's great.

Popular posts from this blog

The Kissing Conundrum

Our Love Story - Finale

He's HERE!!!