Filled with What?

My mother often told me, "Never go grocery shopping when your hungry, everything will look good to you and you'll end up with a lot that you don't need or is good for you!" I must admit that she is right! At my job, I get a hour long lunch break and that is often when I do the grocery shopping for us since we live 30 miles from town. Some days I have been in to much of a hurry to eat my lunch first and get to the store still hungry. Bad move!! I end up spending about twice what I would have needed to! (but the Cheetos's, pop, chips, and chicken wings were very good! :-)

On Sunday we had all the youth at our house due to us having A/C and the youth leaders did not. It was 95+ and quite sticky so they were all glad to come over. We had supper and then a time of sharing. It was during this time that God used something that Dawson said to really stir me, it's not what you don't eat that makes the difference, but what your filled with that counts! I so often focus on what I shouldn't do that I leave an 'empty stomach' that craves all sorts of other things. I need to fill it with good stuff and then the appetite for the things of this world will diminish. Just like this, if you are hungry and you haven't eaten at Hardee's for a long time and you long for a roast beef sandwich! Hmmmm! But you also know that till you put the mayo, ketchup, cheese, bacon, and ranch dressing on it, plus the fries, you might as well apply it right to your waist! So you decide to eat something a little more healthy at Subway. You buy one of their nice, foot long, lettuce filled subs and happily devour it. When you are done, you might still think that Hardee's sounds OK, but not right now, you're not hungry, there is not the same appeal of an hour ago!

So it is with Christ, if you want to have less of a struggle with the world, you need to quit staring at the things you shouldn't do, and instead, continually fill yourself with Christ and His word. You'll find that "the things of this world will grow strangely dim in the light of His glory and grace!" Thank you Jesus!

Comments

Joe said…
How do you get air out of a glass? You fill it with water. How do you get self-pity out of a life? You fill it with Jesus. As Phillipians says, "Whatsoever things are pure,...think on these things." Great blog and great point!
Joe said…
BTW we are working on my wife's blog so comments are easier. And yes, of course you can use the stuff on her site. (We'll let you know if she copywrites anything - very unlikely.)
Great reminder Japheth!
Unknown said…
Thank you.I'm glad you like my site.
JOE B said…
Japheth,
You are right if you fill yourself with Jesus nothing else can get in. Thanks for the reminder.
God bless, Joe
Unknown said…
How did you get audio on your post?
God Bless You.
Japheth said…
Bonnie

If you send me an email to
jpall4christ@gmail.com
I will tell you how to put it into your template.

I can't tell you here because blooger does not like HTML in its comments window.

Popular posts from this blog

The Kissing Conundrum

Our Love Story - Finale

He's HERE!!!